The Research Division, Department of Comprehensive Dentistry, Dental School, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) seeks to be a leader in discovery and in the promotion of evidence-based practice. Investigators housed in the Research Division have received funding from the federal government (NIH, HRSA, DOD, US Navy, VA), state government, as well as private industry and foundations. Investigators in the Division have demonstrated expertise in the following major focus areas of research that include epidemiological research, basic science research, and clinical trials.
- Biomaterials Engineering and Science
- Caries Detection and Management
- Dental Public Health Research
- Human Stem Cell Research and Wound Healing
- Implantology Research
- Oral Cancer Pathogenesis and Prevention
- Oral Candidiasis
- Oral Health Workforce
- Oral-Systemic Epidemiological Research
- Product Testing and Evaluation
- Salivary Research
- Waterline Asepsis
Members of the Research Division, Department of Comprehensive Dentistry have established research collaborations with investigators at universities and dental schools across the nation. In addition, faculty members in the Division collaborate with local scientists at Southwest Research Institute, Texas Biomedical Research Institute, and the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District to name a few organizations.
As one of the four primary missions (research, teaching, service, patient care) of the Dental School, the Department of Comprehensive Dentistry defined goals that are aligned with the research focus at UTHSCSA. The goals of the Division are to:
- Promote science and research within the Department of Comprehensive Dentistry through the development of a culture of discovery.
- Advocate for science and research through internal and external funding sources.
- Foster, support, and sustain a collaborative environment among all stakeholders that facilitates the highest quality of scholarship and research.
- Provide academic and administrative leadership in the conduct of research within the Department, including ethical and regulatory compliance.
- Disseminate knowledge through publication and presentation.
We are excited about opportunities for discovery, translation into practice, and collaboration and ask that you join us in the accomplishment of this goal.
For information, please contact:
Ms. Elissa K. Klein
Administrator, Division of Research
Department of Comprehensive Dentistry